Preparing your mind and body for physical activity & helping you to recover from activity
Sports massage is an effective way to prevent and decrease the risk of possible injuries from physical activity, it can optimize performance due to its ability to assist in maintaining healthy muscles and connective tissue and allow the physical athlete to maintain their flexibility and assist in pain free movement.
How it improves the athlete’s performance:
- Potential prevention of injuries: this can be achieved by preventing abnormal muscle contractions, such as muscle imbalances and soft tissue adhesions.
- Support soft tissue healing
- Reduces pain associated with activity
- Reduces muscle cramping and tension
- Increases flexibility and stretch if it’s not at its optimum
- Improves fluid circulation: massage increases the blood flow around the body, which increases the nutrients to the soft tissue for repair, which also helps with the removal of waste in the body.
- Allows for faster recovery
In the lead up to an event sports massage can prepare your body for optimal performance, allowing you to train longer with decreased discomfort and promote flexibility and mobility. By doing this you decrease your chances of injury, helping the overall physical performance of the athlete while also reducing tension.After activities sports massage can be very beneficial to help allow the body to recover from an event, which may include the treatment of injuries, aches and pains. Treatment would depend on the individual athlete.
Injuries and conditions Treated with Sports massage:
- Muscle Strains and tears
- Muscle cramps
- Achilles tendonitis and other forms of tendonitis
- Shin Splints
- Knee pain
- Patella tracking
- Shoulder Rotator cuff injuries
- Overuse injuries
- Muscle imbalances
- Plantar fasciitis
- Muscular aches and painsNot only can Sports massage have a positive effect on someone’s physical performance, but it can also have a positive affect on someone’s mental health by helping to reduce anxiety and increase relaxation possibly related to your performance, you may also improve your physical awareness to what is going on in your body.