Postnatal depression affects 16% of woman in Australia. The symptoms occur after delivery and are the same as for a major depressive episode.
Symptoms of postnatal depression:
- loss of enjoyment in usual pursuits
- loss of self-esteem and confidence
- loss of appetite and weight
- broken sleep (irrespective of baby)
- sense of hopelessness and being a failure
- a wish not to be alive
- frank suicidal thoughts or ideas
- panic attacks
- loss of libido
- fears for baby’s or partner’s safety or wellbeing.
- previous depression
- a family history of mood disorders
- previous and current stress
- low social support
- thyroid dysfunction
- post-partum fatigue
- antepartum mood disturbance
What can help?
- Make sure you’re resting when you’re tired
- Let your partner and family know how you’re feeling
- Try meditation
- Increase omega-3 in your diet such as; tuna, salmon, blue grenadier, sardines, walnuts and flaxseeds.
- Limit intake of salt, solid fats and sugar
- Join a Mother’s group
What treatment would suit you?
During a consultation Agata utilizes nutrition, herbal medicine, diet and lifestyle advice, flower essences and massage. She works alongside counselors and psychologists to get the best outcomes for the individual and has developed her own 5 step mindfulness program that is yielding great results.